Spending Time in the Garden?
or Doing a House Move?
Don’t Miss this VLOG on Intelligent Lifting!
Ever sprained your back after lifting something heavy or doing a lot of repetitive lifting? If you have, you’ll know that it is very painful and very debilitating. Watch this video from our postural education program Perfect Posture Online which teaches you how to lift correctly.
The video references three principles which are taught in Perfect Posture Online:
- Bringing Everything in Towards You
- Sitting Back into Yourself By Keeping Your Knees Slightly Bent in Order to keep Your Weight Balanced in Your Heels
- Curling Your Pelvis to Balance the Weight Correctly with Abdominal Muscle Support
Proper lifting techniques are critical for spinal health. Repetitively lifting heavy objects incorrectly causes unnecessary stress to the spine that can eventually lead to spinal degeneration, herniated spinal discs, rigid muscles and chronic back pain.
Improper lifting is a very common cause of injury. Remember, it is not always from lifting heavy objects, injury can also occur from repetitive lifting of smaller objects when done so with improper lifting strategies.
- Before lifting the object, the feet should be shoulder width apart, and you should be positioned close to the object where you don’t need to reach excessively far forward.
- Contract the core musculature by drawing the belly button back towards the spine.
- Keep the spine straight while bending.
- Bend with the legs, bending the knees to lift the object.
Never bend forward at the waist with the legs straight, as this causes great strain to the lower back.
*We write regular articles on topics related to posture and balance. You can read them by clicking the menu item ‘Posture’ to the right.
If you are interested in taking our online course on posture, please click the button below to take the first lesson for free.
PERFECT POSTURE ONLINE
In this online course, we teach six principles that you can apply in your daily life to maintain a strong healthy spine.
This course is included as part of our rehabilitation if you are taking one of our 12 week programs, or you can take it on its own. A popular option is to take it with a Perfect Posture Screen with additional specific exercises to work on.
Website Introductory Offer $79
Happy to book your appointment online?
Receive our special offer (usually $115) when booking through this website.
(private health fund rebates apply)
*This offer is available for the initial appointment only. Standard fee for an initial Consultation is $115
21/20 Wellington Street
NARRABEEN NSW 2101
02 9913 7900
Beaches Osteopathic Centre Copyright © 2021.