What is Ultrasound Therapy?
Ultrasound therapy is the use of sound waves to treat musculoskeletal problems, especially inflammation. Based on the principle of ‘stimulating’ tissue with sound waves, ultrasound has been shown to cause:
- Increase in tissue relaxation;
- Increase in local blood flow – can be used to help reduce local swelling and chronic inflammation; and
- Aids scar tissue breakdown.
What is ultrasound used to treat?”
Fresh injury with acute inflammation;
- Joint sprains;
- Scar tissue e.g. injuries and post-surgery;
- Muscle spasm;
Benefits of Ultrasound Therapy
A typical ultrasound treatment will take from 3-5 minutes depending on the size of the area being treated:
- Painless and non-invasive;
- Reduces pain;
- Reduces muscle spasm; and
- Speeds up healing.